This is a long entry and I tried to make it as brief as possible but please take time to read till the end so this may never happen again.
As a rule, I blog only after I exhausted every means to resolve an issue or resolve it amicably with the person concerned. Wearing the hat of a small business owner with an online business, I’m going to be unhappy if my customer blogged about my services without having gone through the help desk or given me a chance to resolve the issue in a timely manner. It is one reason I am patient with customer service because I know how it feels to be on the other end.
But Globe did it again. The excessive gprs charges that happened last January is back again which I will elaborate more. Yugatech is also a victim of these excessive charges and probably a lot more victims based on the 110 comments in his entry (read 110 comments here).
Let me give you a background of my Globe billing problems but before that here is a background about me:
1. I don’t rely on globe 3g as my internet connection. I am subscribed to 3 major ISPS: Globe Broadband (2mbps), PLDT Mydsl (1 mbps), Smart Bro and another mobile internet connection from Smart 3g. That makes me connected to 4 sources and a Globe Tattoo dongle. (Read my review of the internet providers)
2. Globe subscriber since April 1999 using the same phone number.
3. I own a macbook, HP mini and desktop other than an iPhone and another 3g enabled phone for my smart phone number
4. As a blogger and new media publisher, I don’t have time to play with my iPhone except check emails and the occasional orders of my online business when I am out of the house.
5. Usually I am at my home 3 times a week. Usage of iphone is when I don’t bring my laptop.
6. I know how to use my iPhone so it does not trigger my email program and to edit my APN when I don’t need a 3g connection.
7. This is not an attack to my friends who work at Globe. You are wonderful and doing a great job. You have tried to help me resolve my charges but the system flaw is beyond your control. I can’t keep asking you to help me out. What about the others who are having billing problems and think that 50% being waived is a good compromise. NOT.
8. I appreciate the 2 awards given to me by Globe in 2007 and 2009 but it does not mean I can’t complain. I am a customer and I have rights.
My Globe 3g nightmare billing problems
1. I got my iPhone 3g during the first week of September 2008 and my gprs usage were all below 1,000 pesos.
2. My March and April 2009 bill amounted to 14,064.35 pesos of which 9,439.76 came from gprs charges.
3. I contested the amount of 9439.76 pesos and paid for the rest of the bill.
4. I requested extraction of usage and was sent the January 11- February 10, 2009 extraction for the said billing period. See the extraction below and my notes.
I removed my cellphone number in this excel file
Globe GPRS Usage from my iPhone
You will note on January 11, I connected at 13:00 and was charged 870 minutes (14.5 hours) costing 258.68 pesos. My next connection is 1 1/2 hours later at 14:27.07 with a usage of 45 minutes which cost 13.38
This is just one example . How could I possibly be using 14.5 hours internet in a span of 1 hour and 27 minutes?
The same goes on for the improbable usage of gprs at the times allocated.
5. Globe offered to rebate 50% but that would mean paying 4,500 pesos. I refused the offer and suggested that I pay only 1,000 pesos based on my highest usage for the past 6 months. Globe agreed.
6. My GPRS bill seemed normal during the next few months
April 2009- 201.51
May 2009- 512.99
June 2009- 1012.42
July 2009- 615.48
August 2009- 605.92
October 2009- 3,786.87 – upgraded to iphone plan 2199
November 2009-3,250.63 – only 648.16 charged
December 2009- 3,808.10 – currently contesting
7. By September 2009, I upgraded to the iPhone Plan 2199 plus DUO plan since I noticed that my total bill including text and calls amounted to 2,500 pesos a month.
This is when the Globe 3G Billing nightmare recurred. I thought I could save more with the upgrade but goodness gracious, take a look, I ended up being billed 4 times my average use.
8. Let’s just analyze my unpaid gprs charges of 3,808.10 pesos for the current billing period.
What does that mean?
It means I used my iPhone 3Gs for at least 7 to 8 hours a day, on the average. I find it impossible. Why?
8.1. Battery life for iPhone 3Gs lasts for 4 to 5 hours.
8.2. Even if I used a charger to make battery life last longer, it is just damn stupid. I’d rather use my laptop. I am 52 years old and even if I am young at heart, my eyesight cannot take prolonged use of a small electronic gadget.
8.3. I happen to have a life. I don’t stay glued to my iphone for 8 hours. DUH!
9. My story is not done yet. I told Globe that it is impossible for me to have those 3g charges and if I can have extraction of usage. I was told that it is not possible to give me an extraction, Exact words use- ” for the internet usage in your latest bill is not a regular service being offered” and instead, the customer service rep (CSR) sent me an email that totally insults my intelligence.
Good day. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
It might help to know that when you see the icon which appears on the upper left corner of your Iphone, this indicates that there is an internet activity. In addition, you also get charged when accessing applications such as stocks, weather, Safari, Maps and the like. Also, please know that the IPhone automatically shifts from WiFi connection to another stronger network/signal which is available in the area. Moreover if your email accounts are integrated, this is also a possible cause for browsing charges. We suggest that you remove your email accounts to avoid incurring high charges.
Our default charging rate is volume – based (KB). But since you have registered to the alternative option our records show you were charged under the TIME-based scheme amounting to PHP 2747.47 in your latest bill. Please note that we have not found any charging problems nor system errors during the concerned period; be assured then that your account has been charged for usage that was traced to have originated from your sim card. We also wish to advise extraction of the logs for the internet usage in your latest bill is not a regular service being offered. We do however suggest the following additional tips to further avoid browsing charges:
1. Charging begins as soon as you open the Safari, YouTube, Stocks, Weather or other web-based applications. Remember that replaying a video means another charged transaction.
2. Clicking on the menu button ends your Internet connection to Safari, YouTube, Stocks, Weather, Instant Messenger or other web-based applications.
3. When iPhone is not in use , make sure to lock the iPhone by short pressing the sleep/wake button (keypad locking) so as to avoid unwanted keypad presses that may trigger browsing and call charges.
4. When setting up e-mail, best to set this to Manual vs. Push. If you set it on Push, it will constantly connect to the Internet causing unnecessary charging and even drain your battery’s life. Settings > Fetch New Data > Push (On/Off) & Fetch (Manually). For iPhone OS 3.1: Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Push (off) & Fetch (Manually)
5. Email accounts (if there’s any) should be set to OFF when not in use. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts (set all existing accounts to OFF).
6. Weather, Stocks, App Store and iTunes are location dependent applications. These applications also connect to the internet for updates. To turn it off: Settings > General > Location Services > OFF
7. Apps behave differently from one another, some require connection to the internet for it to work, some may need to connect to the server from time-to-time for upgrades or updates. In both cases, when you use Globe’s network, you will be charged based on your internet subscription with Globe. To turn off notification: Settings > Notifications > OFF
8. While browsing, iPhone automatically shifts to the stronger connection. If you are currently on free WiFi and the connection fluctuates, iPhone automatically shifts to GPRS, EDGE or HSDPA connection and charges start to apply.
9. When not using your iPhone’s data services, you may edit the APN (by removing a letter or misspelling) at Settings > General >Network > Cellular Data Network. When you want to access the Internet again, remember to have the correct APN inputted (for Globe Postpaid: internet.globe.com.ph | for Globe Prepaid: http.globe.com.ph)
10. Any software update and change in SIM card will restore your iPhone settings (Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Network) to default and as a result, certain applications and system updates may run again and incur charges.
You may also visit : http://site.globe.com.ph/web/guest/iphone3g/updates_and_tips?sid=51miicj8b4lc81247118103386 for more information/updates regarding the iPhone.
We hope the information shared herein helps you manage your iPhone usage. Do email us should you have further clarifications.
I have to remove my email account? Why would I do that? What’s the use of an iPhone plan if I can’t check my email. Their suggestions don’t make sense.
10. I felt that the CSR blamed my iPhone and me, the user for the high billing. Imagine, the nerve. Of course, I contested the charge and since I stupidly didn’t check my October 2009 bill, I am requesting for a refund.
11. Even if they waive the fees again, the problem may recurr again. I need assurances that it won’t happen again.
So I can whine and bitch in my blog but what use will that do?
What steps will I take?
I have 3 courses of action.
1. Exercise my consumer rights and file a complaint at the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC). Here is the complaint form.
I will only pay for actual usage but without the extraction excel file, that is impossible. Based on Republic Act No. 7925 ARTICLE VII. Sec. 20. Rights of End-Users. – The user telecommunications service shall have the following basic rights:
c) Regular, timely and accurate billing, courteous and efficient service a quality business offices and company personnel; and
There is a complaint form that you can download at the NTC site but it seems down right now.
2. Collate all other iPhone users who have similar billing problems. Please fill up the form below. Rest assured I will not use your information without your written permission.
3. Oh. I will not post my next step because I will just do it.
Enough is enough on flawed billing. It is my right to have accurate billing. I haven’t even talked about the crappy service, have I? (that’s another blog post).
It is time that Globe fix their problems and stop blaming the iPhone user or the iPhone. Apple should know about this too.
Care to share your iPhone 3g billing nightmares?
Globe 3g Iphone users with billing problems, be counted because even if charges are waived, they can reappear again just like mine.
Please fill up the form if you have billing issues with Globe
and here are related posts on Globe 3g billing horror stories
Globe Philippines Blames iPhone for Billing Problem
I’m ready to quit my iPhone by Yugatech
Is Globe having problems tracking iphone data usage properly?
Billing concern with globe and iPhone-Philmug forum
Globe Insane Internet Charges– Philmug Internet forum
Hindi ako maktulog by Chuvaness
Enlighten me by Chuvaness where her bill is 30 k
Does Globe charge for the use of wifi in the Philippines?
IPHONE3G + GLOBE users watch out!
hmmm.. scary indeed but I do believe Chuvaness’ blog post is something of a different concern.
.-= Photoblogger´s last blog ..Political Arena: Information for Filipino Voters =-.
well, her first one rather
.-= Photoblogger´s last blog ..Political Arena: Information for Filipino Voters =-.
I just had a huge charge on Smart with my jailbroken IPhone of 9k, very strange and weird. Smart blames my IPhone and says the charges are valid. What can be done?
Hey sir I’m having a similar problem with globe! I’ve been informed that my bill for my globe iphone is already at 5,300 whereas 5k of that is from internet charges. I’ve been at home for the past 2-3 weeks already since I just resigned and I’m using our home wifi. So I really can’t believe they’re charging me this amount. I’ve been using my iphone for almost a year already and I too knows when my phone is using wifi and when it’s using the globe GPRS. Argh, this really sucks since I still need to wait for my billing statement on the 12th just to file for a complaint.
ako din as in similar problem i’ve been informed a week ago that my bill is already 2600 plus……..what the??????? im a stay at home mom and we have wifi in the house grabe…i have already changed my apn pero minsan nakikita ko nag auto reset siya …balik sa globe
kanina i was informed 3600 na ang bill ko…..sobrang globe pag dating ng bill ko…check ko talaga.nakakainis
hi i am not having an iphone but ive encountered same problem about internet bills from my phone thinking about a not a high end phone. globe charges much and they have me a final notice, i just disregard it, is there any recourse that ntc would do if i file for a claim? thanks.
I’m a globe subscriber for 4 yrs and I’m using iPhone since 2008. When the 3G arrived in the Philippines that’s when my nightmare began! In the span of less than1 month last February 2009 my bill went up to P21,000. binayaran ko to ng installment sa globe, alam ko may kasalanan din ako for being ignorant with their rules. After that, i stopped using their internet service dahil meron naman kaming wifi sa bahay at meron naman akong laptop with globe broadband. my billing go back to P1,000 or more…last month, it went up to P8,700 dahil na naman sa internet usage…hindi ako nagbayad ng full amount, i called customer service and they wasn’t able to anything..this month, naging P13,000++ na ang bill ko. Wala na akong balak magbayad pero nanghihinayang naman ako sa number ko! I’m planning to send them a letter anytime soon..
hey Joy, I’m probably not who you’re expecting to reply, but having been at the receiving end of Globe’s warning, here’s what I can suggest:
have a talk with their customer care representative (preferably in person) about your concern. Once you reach an agreement about your bill, tell the representative to have your internet service on your iPhone cut off. Why? You already have wi-fi at home, and most of the public places (and offices) in the metro have wi-fi as well. You don’t really need Globe’s internet services, do you?
That’s what we did with our iPhone–never had a problem with over-billing.
.-= blurredlights´s last blog .."i’m alive." =-.
i landed on this site, searching for infos that can help me to solve my prob about my internet charges with globe. currently i have unbilled charges of P43,059.00, 41K of this is for internet browsing alone. and guess what, i just used my iPhone for 5 days. i remember using internet connection for a maximum of 3 hours per day only. As soon as i got my iphone, the first thing i immediately ask is how to turn off the cellular network and turn off the push and notifications. Globe is really insane. DTI should know this prob.
Please help! I was billed by Globe for P20K for GPRS charges. I am currently using Iphone and my number is under the corporate account. I swear to God, I didnt use my Iphone for internet usage. I have already requested the reversal of the charges through our telephone services support but Globe denied the appeal saying that they will not allow reversal of GPRS charges for our company, whether the GPRS service was used by the account owners or not. I am not willing to pay for the P20K but our company will deduct it from my salary. It feels so bad. I need advise please… Help! Thanks!
Something funny is going on. I’m a tech-savvy person who writes tech for a living. I know how to turn my Internet usage off. I have compiled photos of this on my Facebook account and I can even make a video to prove that I CANNOT use Globe’s data services even if I wanted to.
Globe is doing something unfair and quite possibly illegal to its consumers. If you have a Globe story about unfair charges, kindly PM me on Facebook or send me e-mail at zach AT yonzon.com. I’m compiling data for an article and possibly a formal complaint to be lodged against the company.
nakaka frustrate coz their customer service rep and even supervisor dont know what their saying.. I keep on calling them but their saying same thing.. GPRS is already deactivated but still my internet usage is going up.. they cant give me VALID explanation whats going on.. and I have to pay almost 3000 for the internet that I didn’t use.. crap! I’m also a technical support for iPhone AT&T and their explanation is not acceptable.. I will still ask for reversal on this.. I will not let them close it as their credit investigation cant provide VALID explanation or reasons whats going on on my account.. iPhone was configured but still my internet usage is going high in just one day it added 1000..
they keep on saying that my iPhone is properly set up and that is what we did on my first call to the corporate service desk.. this is a corporate account and this is the way they treated me..
OGGIE SARMIENTO supervisor daw.. doesnt know the policy that if you disconnected the services you will pay 10,000 for the disconnection charges.. since I didnt finish the contract obviously magbabayad ako..
kakafrustrate…. grrrrrr!!! =(
Globe customer service and their employees/ ACS the company aren’t properly trained technically and they have very poor customer service..
I have the very same concern, my unbilled internet usage charges started from P250 then it became P2000 the following day, next morning it was P6500, and then the ff day it’s P8200. This happened from Dec 31, 2010 to Jan 03, 2011 – meaning in 4 day-period I got this extraordinary internet charges growing exponentially. Fearful that by the time my cut off period comes (Jan 17), my charges would balloon to 30-50k!
CSRs kept telling me to wait for my billing statement everytime I’d make a 211 complaint. Noteworthy is that when my charges were in P6500, I accepted their offer to cut off my data plan. But the next day, charges went up to P8200 even when data plan was already deactivated. But even so, the first time I lodged a complaint (when my charges were in P2500) I dare not used my iPhone for surfing, much more I became paranoid that I switched ON Airplane MODE for the entire day and just switched it OFF to wait for SMS to come in for a good 30mins before going Airplane mode again. What a real hassle it really was and to think this happened between New Year’s eve and 1st few days of the new year to me.
I am really convinced something is wrong with Globe’s internet charges billing. So once I got my billing statement I am planning to ask for fee reversal.
For those who were able to settle their internet charges with Globe, please post what steps you’ve taken that helped you addressed and closed your concerns. Thanks a lot guys.
I just found out the my bill charges amounting to 20,000! Only for a month. last month, it was only 1000. I will yet to check my billing details.
If anybody has experience/steps on the negotiation, confrontation with customer representative, it would be most helpful.
I plan to talk to them within the week.
We have the same dilemma! Globe has suddenly doubled my bill. I usually pay 2500 but on December 2010, I paid almost 4k. Though confused, I still paid for the amount thinking that I neglected to erase cellular data settings. However, this month, I was advised by 290 that my bill is already 5600+! Gosh, how could that happen! I erase all data configuration everytime I don’t need 3G connection. I do have a Wifi at home and this amount is way above my home internet subscription! I am still waiting for Globe’s reply on my complaint but with all the testimonies, I can say that Globe really failed in this! Swear, I will not really pay for the excess charges that I did not use!
NTC, please help us!
that’s how they make money, is it a common practice for globe to charge double? lets say I have a bill for the month of january 20, 2011 that’s equivalent to around Php1,300 and I haven’t paid it yet and then on January 27, 2011 it reached P2,600. Does this mean that they’re charging in advance for the month of february?
PS: I’m using Globe Tattoo Postpaid unlimited internet with bundled Neo Basic 3357. Regards
I have the same problem here..I signed up for 299php phone plan and now they’re charging me for 10,144.75php with 9000php data charges when I’m not using it because I got a laptop and 999php tatoo plan with them that I’m using! and when I called, the customer service will tell me..’that’s a valid vill maam we can’t do anything about it! and I go what??? huh! that’s really frustrating! grrrr…
sam problem…..grabe talaga…2,600+ na bill ko within 5 days after the cut-off perioed lang….kahit sa globe hotline and globe chat…kapag naguusap na kami regarding sa computation kung paano umabot ng ganun karami….sila namismo ang nagdidisconnect sa chat or sa hotline….
Just want to ask, does enabling 3g and cellular data makes the internet “off”. I mean, would be there be no charges at all?
Sorry for the wrong term. Does turning 3g and cellular data “off” makes the internet access “off” as well? Would there be no charges at all?
GLOBE CHARGED ME FOR 15,000 mobile internet browsing which i never used.. this charge is only for 3 days while I was in Singapore! GLOBE OVERCHARGING!!!!!!