Math plays a huge role in our every day lives whether it is buying the groceries, computing the mortgage and balancing the household budget. I also instilled Mathematics in the early learning phase of my children through fun and games.
Sharp Calculators recognises the importance of Math in our lives and has been an avid advocate of improving the standards of Math teaching in the country through its advocacy program, Sharp Minds. Three years into rallying for continuing Mathematics evolution in the Philippines, Sharp Calculators is set to launch the first search for the Ten Outstanding Young Mathematicians 2015 in NCR, with the goal of recognising the sharpest math minds among the Filipino Youth, inspiring others to embrace what Math has done and can do in our everyday life.
1. Open to all public and private high school students in the National Capital region (NCR) who have completed at least 2 years of high school. They must be Filipino citizen either naturalized or born.
2. Nominee must be among the Top 3 students in math as certified by the school principal.
3. The award will be based primarily on the nominee’s performance on national and international competition. These competitions must be recognized by the Departmnet of Education or Department of Science and Technology.
4. Presentations or publications of original work in mathematics are desirable.
5. Students who contribute to the promotion of Mathematics and show leadership skills are desirable. Good moral character will be considered.
Criteria for Judging
Performance in Mathematics Competition 75%
Research and Publications in Mathematics 10%
Leadership and Promotion of Mechanics 15%
The nomination period is from November 3, 2014 till January 10, 2015 and the awarding is sometime February 2015.
The search for Ten Outstanding Young Mathematicians seeks to promote the development of science culture among young Filipinos by recognizing their accomplishment in the field of mathematics and inspire more students to be better at Math.
TO be updated